Saturday, August 4, 2007

Death of a Great Sales Job

When I arrived at the Verizon Yellow Pages a few years ago I was told by some of the older guys how the glory days had passed. Being new to my career I casually dismissed their regular rants about how the new leadership (primarily from Texas) had maintained profitability by cutting expenses and implementing cost controls. I didn’t really grasp (in those early days) how dire many of those guys must have been feeling. Now that I am a quasi-one-of-them, my head too is about to explode - and this is the best way I know to keep my brains off of the walls.

When Bell Atlantic and GTE got together in July of 2000 to form Verizon, the Bell Atlantic contingent in the northeast took somewhat of a whack when corporate operations landed in Dallas and the GTE leadership began calling the shots in terms of corporate strategy and day-to-day decision-making. For all intents and purposes this marked the beginning of the end of “The Golden Age” for what was once known as “the best sales job in America”.

With spreadsheets in hand in a declining print market, and with added pressures from print competitors and the internet, the Texans started the job of wielding the ax at items like labor contracts and support staff, instituting back door personnel culling practices in the form of unattainable performance standards, and holding performance for shareholders as the pinnacle in a hierarchy of values. Employee satisfaction and happiness as cultural mandates vanished.

Somewhere lost in this formula was the fundamental reality that the Verizon Yellow Pages (now Idearc Media Corp) had ceased to be a great place to work. As a relative newcomer, I am not nearly as invested (financially or emotionally) as many of the people with 15-20 years of service. However in speaking with them, their angst is palpable. It is a travesty to have been in love with your career and to have your affect for it skewered like a pig. It is more than distressing.

In a past area sales meeting, the company had the audacity to hire a speaker / sales trainer whose message was “work is not supposed to be fun… that’s why they call it work”. That sent a shockwave… We surmise she didn’t understand the concept of passion for doing a great job, aspiring to exceed customer expectations and providing value that goes beyond schlepping ads in a book. I don’t remember her name, but in retrospect, she was the perfect prognosticator for how my time with Idearc would evolve. Work is not fun. Goal accomplished.

I have a list of topics that I have written about that deal with corporate culture, decision-making, managers and management style… the transparency of values postured and their rub with the reality of working day-to-day… I encourage you to come back or subscribe to my RSS feed and get a real sense of what is going on with Idearc – employees, prospective employees, investors and casual observers alike. (will be up soon)

We are witnessing the demise of a once great selling enterprise. Now, as a self-proclaimed second-rate sales organization, we collectively show up every day to hold on to our security – tentative as it may be. Very few are optimistic as most mumble, “there must be a better way to make a living”. In the interim, we are stuck - held hostage by the necessity of health benefits and the crunch of mortgage payments.

We persevere. Why, many cannot articulate other than the inertia of the river continuing to sweep us downstream. And somehow every day we wake up and go “do it again” in a passionless culture for which we have supreme contempt. The reason for this contempt is very straightforward…

They killed a great job.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well I can certainly understand how you feel. I work in the same environment. We must endevor to persevere.

Anonymous said...

Endeavor to persevere ? LOL !!!
OK Kathy Harless...enough of Your anonymous posts.

I'm sure that You have plenty of minions willing to goose step down Main Street America and bilk the small business man out of millions if not billions of dollars. Well...not me. I WILL take the high road.

How long do think You can dupe not only Your customers, but Your employees as well. The future of Idearc is extremely dim and THIS IS....THE BEGINNING OF THE END.

Anonymous said...

I have worked for Yellow Book for a little over 4 years now. Believe me...it's no different.

Anonymous said...

I was an employee of Bell Atlantic, went through the transition to Verizon & then again the spin off to Idearc. With a sense of decline, I opted to take an IPP offer back in March of 07. I had been employed there for almost 10 yrs. I still have alot of friends at Idearc & all I can say is that I am sooo glad I left when I did. In my old building, employees are still working without a contract since June of 07, Idearc has taken away their 401K and they now have to pay for Health Insurance. The attitude of the employees is very bad & I dont blame them!!!! Good luck guys, my advice, next time they offer a package..take it & run like I did!!!

Anonymous said...

I can certainly relate.

Anonymous said...

i also work for idearc.. and I am sure i know each and everyone of you!... It isn't just Idearc having these problems. The co is in a transitioning phase, obviously YP are on the decline that is just part of he evolution... i am glad you took the IPP one less person to put us down on the job. Practice what you preach...

Anonymous said...

I too used to work at Idearc Media. I was fired for putting a DQ cust. back in the book. We used a cell phone, you know the deal. I was asked to do this for this acct. by the GSM. The credit rep the account belonged to initially flipped and called security. The GSM covered his ass and let me hang. It is too bad, I was not the guy flying under the radar either. I was kicking ass w/ new custs. .com, growth, etc. I won prizes, motivated, etc. This was a shame of the politics in Idearc that is probably repeated all too often right now. I remember my first telephone presentation and $400.00 print sale like it was yesterday. That was fun, back when excitement and high-fives ran rampant. It seems so long ago and it has only been 2 years. I feel for all of you still there, in the trenches, catching nasty e-mails for "phone-time" or "dials" or 3 smlocals by the end of the year "or else". I have found that in the world outside of Idearc, reps like us are worth our weight in gold. I was astounded at the demand in this economy. I hope it is some value as you wait for the shoe to drop under restructuring. Hang in there and find comfort in the fact that you are very valuable in todays job market. You will always be OK. You sold advertising, you can sell anything.

Good Sales & Good Luck

Anonymous said...

This is all bologne, I work at idearc and everything about the job is geared towards being a fun place to work, they send us on vacations every year for hitting goals, pay for hotels, they truly are a blessing, My father worked here in sales longer than anyone else and for a reason, He loved his job. I know see why, Idearc is a great place and if you were truly fired it was only because you did something so wrong there was no way to fix it.

Richard Spahr said...

Hey... a legacy... perhaps he didn't read my post, Death of a Great Sales Job. When daddy worked his years, it was a great job. Look no further than the current stock price. Case closed.

Provide your name, chicken. Or perhpas EVERYONE is nameless in LaLa Land. Right... I am a nut. I was not willing to endure a strike. That is why I am no longer there... not to mention everything else cited... which is about 25% of what I had written and could have posted. All I needed was enough to impress Wall Street. Proof is in the pudding.

Keep drinking the cool aid. Kathy Harless would be proud.

Richard